STAND UP & PITCH ’20: THE COMEDY CONTENT SEARCH
Just For Laughs ComedyPRO
July 22 – 25, 2020
DOUBLETREE BY HILTON MONTREAL
Just For Laughs and Project 10 Productions invite you – the comics, writers, creators and producers on the cutting edge of comedy – to submit your long-form series ideas for a chance to present to a panel of industry experts at Just for Laughs ComedyPRO.
Projects should be based on or inspired by stories, sketches or characters developed by writers, producers, show-runners, stand-up comics, improv groups, sketch comedy teams and comedy writers. We’re looking for fresh ideas that make us laugh.
We offer two (2) pitch formats: From Set to Screen: TV, OTT, SVOD and more, presented by Project 10 Productions, which showcases long-form single or multi-camera series (half-hour or longer), and Beyond the Box: Playing It Short, in association with Tubefilter, our short-form format aimed at digital platforms (no greater than 15 minutes).
If you’re interested in the short-form pitch, click HERE to review the submission guidelines for Beyond the Box: Playing it Short. If you’d like to submit to the long format pitch, keep reading!
A maximum of five (5) projects per format will be selected and presented to a panel of leading comedy industry executives and decision-makers in live pitching session. Selected applicants will be given five (5) minutes to present their work, receive invaluable feedback, and gain unparalleled access to top comedy industry professionals.
From Set to Screen: TV, OTT, SVOD and more presented by Project 10 Productions
Submissions are single or multi-camera scripted sitcoms, game shows, reality shows, variety, sketch or animation series intended for a half-hour or longer running time per episode. Past panelists have included executives from Amazon, Bell Media, CBS, Comedy Central, FOX, FX Networks, HBO, Hulu, IFC, NBC, TBS and truTV.
We are in search for the funniest, new, innovative long-form episodic, or serialized comedy content. Some of the world’s most beloved shows have stemmed from comedy writers and performers with a strong story and point of view, from classic television series such as Everybody Loves Raymond and Seinfeld to current hits such as Netflix’s Glow, HBO’s Barry, FX’s Atlanta, ABC’s Black-ish, Amazon Studio’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, NBC’s The Good Place, The CW’s Crazy Ex Girlfriend, and Comedy Central’s Detroiters.
Submission packets can be uploaded by paying in Eventbrite at the bottom of this page. Submissions must adhere to the specific guidelines for each format. After you have paid your $50.00 USD submission fee, you will receive an e-mail with detailed submission instructions.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: MONDAY, MAY 8, 2020 BY 11:59PM PST
• Series bible that provides an overview of your show concept as well as an outline of the pilot episode, series progression and professional bios of the creative and production team.
• Complete pilot script OR pilot episode. NOTE: Where completed pilot video is included in the pitch, it cannot have been produced prior to 2019.
• Episode budget top-sheet: If you have shot your pilot, this should be the true production budget. If you have not shot the pilot but are submitting the pilot script, this should be your estimated pilot budget.
• ADDITIONAL video illustrating and/or supporting your series treatment. Examples of additional video submissions can include, but are not limited to: excerpt of stand-up act, taped sketch that highlights character(s), produced scenes. Additional video should not exceed fifteen (15) minutes in length.
• Non-refundable fee of $50.00 USD
In addition, please note the following for all submissions:
• The Just For Laughs Stand Up & Pitch program is open to applicants worldwide.
• All submissions must be in English.
• Submitted materials will not be returned.
• Deadline for ALL materials is Monday, May 8, 2020 by 11:59pm PST.
• All uploaded and submitted documents and materials must be clearly labeled with the project title, applicants name, contact telephone and email.
• All applicants will be contacted via email so please ensure that you provide a working email address.
• You may submit more than one project to each format section. You may also submit the same project idea to each format section but you must provide the corresponding submission materials.
• You may submit as a team. Performers that work and/or produce in partnership with writers/directors/producers are welcome to submit a collaborative piece.
• All submissions are reviewed by the Just For Laughs Stand Up & Pitch program committee, and final selections are at the complete discretion of this committee.
• A non-refundable fee of $50.00 USD must be included with each submission (credit card payment only). If your project is not selected the fee may be applied to a Just For Laughs pass.
• Members of the selected teams will receive INDUSTRY passes to Just For Laughs ComedyPRO and to the Just For Laughs Festival (up to two members).
The winner of the From Set To Screen: TV, OTT, SVOD and more pitch session will be invited back for the 2021 edition of Just For Laughs ComedyPRO. He/she will receive one (1) free trip to the Just For Laughs Festival, including one (1) flight, a hotel room for up to three (3) nights, and a festival pass.
All finalists and the winner retain the rights to their projects throughout the process.
Please read the Terms and Conditions before paying your fee and submitting your project.
Please use the below Eventbrite widget to pay your registration fee.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at JFLComedyProPitch@gmail.com.
About Project 10 Productions
Project 10 Productions Inc. is a global television production company with offices in Toronto and Los Angeles specializing in scripted comedy. The company works closely with high-profile talent to develop and produce compelling content for the worldwide marketplace. The principal executives for Project 10 Productions Inc. are Andrew Barnsley, Ben Murray (Toronto) and Andrew Moncrief (Los Angeles). Leveraging their considerable strengths and decades of experience with those of partner and three-time MLB All-Star Vernon Wells, Project 10 has established itself as a go-to partner for domestic and international creators, broadcasters and distributors alike.