NOTE: CALL FOR SUBMISSION WILL OPEN ON THURSDAY, MARCH 5
STAND UP & PITCH ’20: THE COMEDY CONTENT SEARCH
At Just for Laughs ComedyPRO
July 22 – 25, 2020
DOUBLETREE BY HILTON MONTREAL
Just for Laughs and Tubefilter invite you – the comics, writers, creators and producers on the cutting edge of comedy – to submit your long-form series ideas for a chance to present to a panel of industry experts in a live pitching session at Just for Laughs ComedyPRO.
Projects should be based on, or inspired by, stories, sketches or characters developed by writers, producers, show-runners, stand-up comics, improv groups, sketch comedy teams and comedy writers. We’re looking for fresh ideas that make us laugh.
We offer two (2) pitch formats: Beyond the Box: Playing It Short, in association with Tubefilter, which showcases short-form content aimed at digital platforms (no greater than 15 minutes), and From Set to Screen: TV, OTT, SVOD and more presented by Project 10 Productions, which is intended for long-form single or multi-camera series (half-hour or longer).
In addition, for Canadian participants, CBC Comedy is back again with CBC Comedy Originals Pitch Program, where a total of five (5) projects drawn from BOTH FORMATS (Beyond the Box and From Set to Screen) will be selected to pitch directly to CBC executives and members of the Canadian creative community! The CBC is a longtime partner of Just For Laughs ComedyPRO, having discovered both new TV and digital-facing series such as How To Buy A Baby, Newborn Moms, My 90-Year-Old Roommate and the upcoming Diversity League, at Stand Up & Pitch.
Content creators wishing to participate in the CBC Comedy Originals Pitch Program must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
** Please note that while all Canadian submissions will be considered for the CBC Comedy Originals Pitch Program, inclusion in this program is not obligatory nor will it impact your opportunity to participate in either Beyond the Box: Playing it Short and/or From Set to Screen: TV, OTT, SVOD and more.
If you’re interested in the long-form pitch, click HERE to check out the submission guidelines for From Set to Screen: TV, OTT, SVOD and more. If you’d like to submit to the short format pitch, keep reading!
A maximum of five (5) projects per format will be selected and presented to a panel of leading comedy industry executives and decision-makers in an open-forum pitch session. Accepted applicants will be given five (5) minutes to present their work and gain unparalleled access to top comedy industry professionals.
Beyond the Box: Playing it Short (in association with Tubefilter)
Submissions are digital-first shows with episode lengths no greater than 15 minutes. These pitches include scripted, animation, factual, variety and sketch – but all shorter form series ideas aimed at YouTube, or other digital platforms. Past panelists have included executives from Above Average, Adult Swim, Bell Media, CollegeHumor/Big Breakfast, Funny or Die, New Form Digital, YouTube and Warner Bros’ Blue Ribbon Content.
We’re searching for the funniest, new, innovative short form comedy content.
Whether you’re an established YouTube Channel Partner or just starting to build your YouTube subscriber base, this is your chance to pitch your new content ideas to the decision makers who can bring you the audience you seek.
We’re looking for series ideas that lend themselves to bite-sized viewing, whether serialized stories or thematically-linked pieces such as Good Mythical Morning, Kids React or Honest Trailers.
Online stars such as Brandon Rogers, Grace Helbig, Mamrie Hart, King Bach, and Miranda Sings, and series such as The Mis-Adventures of Awkward Black Girl, Epic Rap Battles of History, You Suck at Cooking, and Final Space all have their roots in comedy.
Submission packets can be uploaded by first clicking on the PAY AND SUBMIT button at the bottom of this page and must adhere to the specific guidelines for each format. After you have paid your $50.00 USD submission fee, you will receive an e-mail with detailed submission instructions.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE EXTENDED: FRIDAY, MAY 8th, 2019 BY 11:59PM PST.
• Series bible that provides an overview of your show concept as well as an outline of the pilot episode, series progression, and professional bios of the creative and production team.
• Complete pilot script OR pilot episode. NOTE: Where completed pilot video is included in the pitch, it cannot have been produced prior to 2019.
• Episode budget top-sheet: If you have shot your pilot, this should be the true production budget. If you have not shot the pilot but re submitting the pilot script, this should be your estimated pilot budget.
• ADDITIONAL video illustrating and/or supporting your series treatment. Examples of additional video submissions can include, but are not limited to: excerpt of stand-up act, taped sketch that highlights character(s), produced scenes. Additional video should not exceed fifteen (15) minutes in length.
• Non-refundable fee of $50.00 USD.
In addition, please note the following for all submissions:
• The Just For Laughs Stand Up & Pitch program is open to applicants worldwide.
• All submissions must be English.
• Submitted materials will not be returned.
• Deadline to submit ALL materials is Monday, May 8, 2020 by 11:59pm PST.
• All uploaded and submitted documents and materials must be clearly labeled with the project title, project format, applicants name, contact telephone and email.
• All applicants will be contacted via email so please ensure that you provide a working email address.
• You may submit more than one project to each format section. You may also submit the same project idea to each format section but you must provide the corresponding submission materials.
• You may submit as a team. Performers that work and/or produce in partnership with writers/directors/producers are welcome to submit a collaborative piece.
• All submissions are reviewed by the Just For Laughs Stand Up & Pitch program committee. Final selections are at the complete discretion of this committee.
• A non-refundable fee of $50.00 USD must be included with each submission (credit card payment only). If your project is not selected, the fee may be applied to a Just For Laughs attendee pass.
• Members of the selected teams will receive INDUSTRY passes to Just for Laughs ComedyPRO and the Just For Laughs Festival (up to two members).
The winner of the Beyond The Box: Playing It Short pitch session will be invited back to the 2020 edition of Just For Laughs ComedyPRO. He/she will receive one (1) free trip to the 2021 edition of the Just For Laughs Festival, including one (1) flight, a hotel room for up to three (3) nights, and a festival pass.
All finalists and the winner will retain the rights to their projects throughout the process.
Please read the Terms and Conditions before paying your fee and submitting your project.
Please use the below Eventbrite widget to pay your registration fee.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tubefilter is the most trusted and widely read source for YouTube, online video, and digital media news, analysis, and events. Through its trade news and analysis, community events, and creator advocacy programs, Tubefilter has helped to foster the growth, promotion, and legitimization of a new, independent professional entertainment industry. Tubefilter properties include its flagship publication, Tubefilter News, the Tubefilter Charts, its popular YouTube Millionaires series, and the Streamy Awards.