STAND UP AND PITCH ’19: THE COMEDY CONTENT SEARCH
At Just for Laughs ComedyPRO
July 24 – 27, 2019
HYATT REGENCY, MONTREAL, CANADA
NEW DETAILS WILL BE POSTED IN LATE JANUARY 2019
NOTE: DETAILS BELOW ARE FROM OUR 2018 EDITION OF COMEDYPRO
Just for Laughs, Some Spider Studios, and Tubefilter invite you – the comics, writers, creators and producers on the cutting edge of comedy – to present your series ideas to a panel of industry experts in an open-pitch forum at Just for Laughs ComedyPRO.
Projects should be based on, or inspired by stories, sketches or characters developed by writers, producers, showrunners, stand-up comics, improv groups, sketch comedy teams and comedy writers working with performance-based formats. We’re looking for fresh ideas that make us laugh.
We offer two (2) pitch formats: Beyond the Box: Playing It Short, presented by Some Spider Studios, in conjunction with Tubefilter, our short-form format aimed at digital platforms (no greater than 15 minutes), and From Set to Screen: TV, OTT, SVOD and More presented by Project 10 Productions, in conjunction with the Independent Filmmaker Project (IFP), which is intended for long-form single or multi-camera series (half-hour or longer).
In addition, for Canadian participants, CBC Comedy is back again with CBC Comedy Originals Pitch Program where a total of five (5) projects drawn from BOTH FORMATS (Beyond the Box and From Set to Screen) will be selected to pitch directly to CBC executives and members of the Canadian creative community! The CBC is a longtime partner of Just For Laughs ComedyPRO, having discovered both new TV and digital-facing series such as How To Buy A Baby, Newborn Moms, My 90-Year-Old Roommate and the upcoming Diversity League, at Stand Up & Pitch.
Content creators wishing to participate in the CBC Comedy Originals Pitch must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
** Please note that while all Canadian submissions will be considered for the CBC Comedy Originals Pitch, inclusion in this program is not obligatory nor will it impact your opportunity to participate in either Beyond the Box: Playing it Short and/or From Set to Screen: TV, OTT, SVOD and More.
If you’re interested in the long-form pitch, click HERE to check out the submission guidelines for From Set to Screen: TV, OTT, SVOD and More. If you’d like to submit to the short format pitch, keep reading!
A maximum of five (5) projects per format will be selected and presented to a panel of leading comedy industry executives and decision-makers in an open-forum pitch session. Accepted applicants will be given five (5) minutes to present their work and gain unparalleled access to top comedy industry professionals.
Beyond the Box: Playing it Short presented by Some Spider Studios
Submissions here are digital-first shows with episode lengths no greater than 15 minutes. These pitches include scripted, animation, factual, variety and sketch – but all shorter form series ideas aimed at YouTube, or other digital platforms. Past panelists for Beyond the Box open-forum pitch have included executives from Above Average, Adult Swim, Bell Media, CollegeHumor/Big Breakfast, Funny or Die, New Form Digital, YouTube and Warner Bros’ Blue Ribbon Content.
We are pleased to welcome our new partner, Tubefilter, as we search for the funniest, new, innovative online short form comedy content.
Whether you’re an established YouTube Channel Partner or just starting to build your YouTube subscriber base, this is your chance to pitch your new content ideas to the decision makers who can bring you the audience you seek.
We’re looking for series ideas that lend themselves to bite-sized viewing, whether serialized stories or thematically-linked pieces such as Good Mythical Morning, Kids React or Honest Trailers.
Online stars such as Grace Helbig, Mamrie Hart, King Bach, and Miranda Sings and series such as The Mis-Adventures of Awkward Black Girl, Honest Trailers, Epic Rap Battles of History, You Suck at Cooking, and Final Space all have their roots in comedy.
Submission packets can be uploaded by first clicking on the PAY AND SUBMIT button at the bottom of this page and must adhere to the specific guidelines for each format. After you have paid your $50.00 USD submission fee, you will receive an e-mail with detailed submission instructions.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: EXTENDED TO MONDAY, MAY 14, 2018 BY 11:59PM PST.
• Series bible that provides an overview of your show concept as well as an outline of the pilot episode, series progression, and professional bios of the creative and production team.
• Complete pilot script OR pilot episode. NOTE: Where completed pilot video is included in the pitch, it cannot have been produced prior to 2017.
• Episode budget top-sheet: If you have shot your pilot, this should be the true production budget. If you have not shot the pilot but re submitting the pilot script, this should be your estimated pilot budget.
• ADDITIONAL video illustrating and/or supporting your series treatment. Examples of video submissions can include, but are not limited to: excerpt of stand-up act, taped sketch that highlights character(s), produced scenes. Submitted video should not exceed fifteen (15) minutes in length.
• Non-refundable fee of $50.00 USD
In addition, please note the following for all submissions:
• The Just for Laughs Stand Up & Pitch Program is open to applicants worldwide
• All submissions must be English
• Submitted materials will not be returned
• Deadline to submit ALL materials is Monday, May 14, 2018 by 11:59pm PST.
• All uploaded and submitted documents and materials must be clearly labeled with the project title, project format, applicants name, contact telephone and email.
• All applicants will be contacted via email so please ensure that you provide a working email address.
• You can submit more than one project to each format section. You can also submit the same project idea to each format section but you must provide the corresponding submission materials.
• You may submit as a team. Performers that work and/or produce in partnership with writers/directors/producers are welcome to submit a collaborative piece.
• All submissions are reviewed by the Just For Laughs Stand Up & Pitch Program Committee. Final selections are at the complete discretion of this committee.
• A non-refundable fee of $50.00 USD must be included with each submission (credit card payment only). If your project is not selected the fee may be applied to a Just for Laughs attendee pass.
• Members of the selected teams will receive INDUSTRY passes to Just for Laughs ComedyPRO and the Just For Laughs Festival (up to two members).
The winner of the Beyond The Box: Playing It Short pitch session will be invited back to the 2019 edition of Just For Laughs ComedyPro. He/she will receive one (1) free trip to the 2019 edition of the Just For Laughs Festival, including flight, a hotel room for up to three (3) nights, and a festival pass.
All finalists and the winner will retain the rights to their projects throughout the process.
Please read the Terms and Conditions before paying your fee and submitting your project.
If you have any questions or problems, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Some Spider Studios
was recently ranked as the 44th most powerful media company in the US, ahead of such notables as Discovery and Vice. With channels such as Scary Mommy and The Dad we’ve been quietly reaching over 100 million people a month. Now we are making a lot more noise with our new original shows and have been feverishly acquiring other content to produce or distribute, inking coproduction deals, and developing content for all screens.
Tubefilter is the most trusted and widely read source for YouTube, online video, and digital media news, analysis, and events. Through its trade news and analysis, community events, and creator advocacy programs, Tubefilter has helped to foster the growth, promotion, and legitimization of a new, independent professional entertainment industry. Tubefilter properties include its flagship publication, Tubefilter News, the Tubefilter Charts, its popular YouTube Millionaires series, and the Streamy Awards.