STAND UP AND PITCH: THE COMEDY CONTENT SEARCH ’17
Just For Laughs ComedyPRO
July 26 – 29, 2017
HYATT REGENCY, MONTREAL, CANADA
Just For Laughs and the New York Television Festival (NYTVF) invite you – the comics, writers, creators and producers on the cutting edge of comedy – to present your show ideas to a panel of industry experts in an open-pitch forum at the Just for Laughs ComedyPRO Conference.
Projects should be based on or inspired by stories, sketches or characters developed by writers, producers, showrunners, stand-up comics, improv groups, sketch comedy teams and comedy writers working with performance-based formats. We’re looking for fresh ideas that make us laugh.
We offer two (2) pitch formats: Beyond the Box: Playing It Short, our short-form format aimed at digital platforms (no greater than 15 minutes), and From Set to Screen: TV, OTT, SVOD and More presented by Project 10 which is intended for long-form single or multi-camera series (half-hour or longer). If you’re interested in the short-form pitch, click HERE to check out the submission guidelines for Beyond the Box: Playing it Short. If you’d like to submit to the long format pitch, keep reading!
A maximum of five (5) projects per format will be selected and presented to a panel of leading comedy industry executives and decision-makers in an open-forum pitch session. Accepted applicants will be given five (5) minutes to present their work in this unique opportunity and gain unparalleled access to top comedy industry professionals.
From Set to Screen: TV, OTT, SVOD and More presented by Project 10
Submissions here are single or multi-camera scripted sitcoms, game shows, reality shows, variety, sketch or animation series intended for a half-hour or longer per episode running time. Past panelists for From Set to Screen open-forum pitch have included executives from: Amazon, CBS, Comedy Central, FOX, FX, HBO, Hulu, IFC, NBC and Netflix.
For the sixth consecutive year, the New York Television Festival (NYTVF) and Just for Laughs are seeking ideas for shows created by comedians and comics, inspired by the stories, sketches, or characters that they have developed over their professional careers. These concepts can be scripted or unscripted comedy of any kind, including unscripted (doc/reality/competition) concepts and formats.
Some of the world’s most beloved shows have stemmed from comedy performers with a strong story and point of view. From classic television series such as Roseanne and Seinfeld to new digital programming like Seeso’s Take My Wife, Comedy Central’s Inside Amy Schumer, FX’s Atlanta and Amazon’s Transparent.
The history of comedy has been built and sustained by comedy performers, and we’re looking for the next big thing – a show that can uniquely translate a comedic voice to the small screen, either in scripted or unscripted programming.
Submission packets can be uploaded by first clicking on the PAY AND SUBMIT button at the bottom of this page. Submissions must adhere to the specific guidelines for each format. After you have paid your $50.00 USD submission fee, you will receive an e-mail with detailed submission instructions.
DEADLINE: May 8th, 2017 at 11:59 pm (PT)
• Series bible that provides an overview of your show concept as well as an outline of the pilot episode, series progression and professional bios of the creative and production team.
• Complete pilot script OR pilot episode. NOTE: Where completed pilot video is included in the pitch, it cannot have been produced prior to 2016.
• Episode budget top-sheet
• ADDITIONAL video illustrating and/or supporting your series treatment. Examples of video submissions can include, but are not limited to: excerpt of stand-up act, taped sketch that highlights character(s), produced scenes. Submitted video should not exceed fifteen (15) minutes in length.
• Non-refundable fee of $50.00 USD
** Please CLEARLY identify your project as participating in the “FROM SET TO SCREEN” format.
In addition, please note the following for all submissions:
• The Just for Laughs Stand Up & Pitch Program is open to applicants worldwide
• All submissions must be in English
• Submitted materials will not be returned
• ALL materials must be submitted before May 8th, 2017 at 11:59 pm (PT).
• All uploaded and submitted documents and materials must be clearly labeled with the project title, applicants name, contact telephone and email.
• All applicants will be contacted via email so please ensure that you provide a working email address.
• You can submit more than one project to each format section. You can also submit the same project idea to each format section but you must provide the corresponding submission materials.
• You may submit as a team. Performers that work and/or produce in partnership with writers/directors/producers are welcome to submit a collaborative piece.
• All submissions are reviewed by the Just For Laughs Stand Up & Pitch Program Committee, and final selections are at the complete discretion of this committee.
• A non-refundable fee of $50.00 USD must be included with each submission (credit card payment only). If your project is not selected the fee may be applied to a Just for Laughs pass.
• Members of the selected teams will receive INDUSTRY passes to Just For Laughs ComedyPRO and to the Just For Laughs Festival.
One winner will be selected during the event and invited to participate as an Official Artist in the 2017 New York Television Festival in October. All finalists and the winner will retain the rights to their projects throughout the process.
The creator(s) of the winning pitch will be invited to the 2017 New York Television Festival to participate as an Official Artist and will enjoy exclusive benefits of NYTVF Connect which are only extended to selected artists. Throughout the week of the Festival, there are numerous events available ONLY to Official Artists, coordinated by the festival to foster collaboration and connections.
NYTVF Connect is the festival’s comprehensive industry track that serves artists and top-tier entertainment executives across the creative development spectrum. The program encompasses three unique opportunities that are each designed to maximize festival participation for artists and executives, providing them with the tools to network, build relationships, and collaborate on projects. Artists cannot purchase access to NYTVF Connect and are only eligible to participate if their work is selected to be featured at the festival.
NYTVF CONNECT includes:
NYTVF PITCH is an exclusive development initiative hosted during the Festival allowing New York Television Pitch Partners to solicit pitches from the class of Official Artists. Each Pitch Partner guarantees a development deal to be distributed out of the initiative. 2017 NYTVF Pitch Partners included: AMC, OneX, Pop, truTV, WE tv, and Red Arrow International.
INDUSTRY DEVELOPMENT CHATS provide industry partners with informal platform to present their development and/or acquisition strategy to the festival’s Official Artists. These intimate discussions provide artists with unique access to decision-makers on the network, studio, and agency level.
EXECUTIVE ACCESS provides festival partners with early access to the independent content showcased at the festival as well as concierge service to arrange meetings and pitches with projects and artists of interest. Executive Access culminates with hundreds of NYTVF-facilitated meetings during the annual festival in October, yielding a streamlined interaction model.
The winning project from From Set to Screen: TV, OTT, SVOD and More will be distributed to all NYTVF Industry Partners in the weeks leading up to the Festival. Visit the NYTVF Benefits and Awards page for more information on being an Official Artist.
Please read the Terms and Conditions before paying your fee and submitting your project.
If you have any questions or problems, please contact us at email@example.com.
About the NYTVF
Established in 2005, the New York Television Festival (NYTVF) is a pioneer of the independent television movement, constructing new and innovative paths of development and talent identification while simultaneously complementing the traditional television development model. Its annual New York Television Festival, held each fall in New York City, is recognized as the industry’s first independent television festival, which provides a platform to elevate the work of artists creating for the small screen. Through the festival and other year-round activities, the NYTVF’s mission is to connect its community of over 15,000 independent creative artists with leading networks, studios, and brands by cultivating relationships that lead to new opportunities. For more information on the NYTVF, the annual Festival, and these initiatives, visit the NYTVF About Page.
About Project 10
Project 10 Productions Inc. is a television production company established in 2009, with offices in Toronto and Los Angeles. The company has previously produced the 26 x ½ hour comedy Spun Out for CTV, the 6 x ½ hour doc series, Sports On Fire for TMN and Movie Central and the award-winning feature documentary, Spirit Unforgettable for HBO Canada. The principal executives for Project 10 Productions Inc. are President and Executive Producer, Andrew Barnsley, Vice President of Development & Production, Ben Murray and VP Content, Roberto Alcantara. Leveraging their considerable strengths and decades of experience with those of partner and three-time MLB All-Star Vernon Wells, Project 10 brings compelling content to the worldwide marketplace in innovative ways.